Saturday, June 30, 2012

Dracula, Obamacare, Fireworks and new Laptop

We are living in crazy, perilous times. Like for instance, I have been reading this Dracula novel, the original Bram Stoker novel. I really like the book and feel it is a very well written book, so I thought I would like to see one of the movies. I chose one of the more recent Dracula movies that had Wynona Ryder and Anthony Hopkins in it, I really like Hopkins. The movie follows the book and even has lines right from the book, which is cool but there were some things added that detracted from the story. Some of the added parts were crude with implied sex and sensuality, which did not make the movie any better but took away from the literary work. Additionally, some details of the book that I was looking forward to seeing acted out on the screen were left out. This strengthens my belief that as a society we are not progressing but regressing, morally and also artisticlly. With all of our technology and talent, we take a literary classic and cheapen it with nudity and implied sex. Bram Stokers book is a great work of art, this movie is not, do not watch this movie.

Meanwhile, while I am engrossed in undead characters of yesteryear, our great country is all a stir from the Supreme Court's decision to uphold Obamacare. I know the price of healthcare is out of hand but I am not sure if Obama's healthcare bill is the answer. I do not like the idea of Uncle Sam telling me I have to purchase something. I wish I was better educated about what is in the healthcare bill, but I am not, however I fear that Obama's healthcare bill is not a step in the right direction, but I may be wrong. Some provisions in the bill such as cavering pre-existing provisions and letting children stay on parents plan until they are 26 seem beneficial, but the individual mandate sends shivers down my spine.

While fireworks going off in the republican party over the Supreme Court's decision on Obamacare, I am debating about goint to the fireworks at the Blue Ridge Marina tommorrow night. There will be a crowd of people and I do not know if I feel like fighting the crowd.

Finally, I bought me a new refurbished Dell laptop from the Walmart internet site. I had to give $288 plus tax for the little gem and I am breakung it in tonight on this long, rambling blog post. I have had it since Tuesday night and so far I like it.

Anyways, everybody have a safe and happy Fourth of July and remember that Jesus is the answer.

No comments: