Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Response from Johnny Isakson about Andrew Tamooressi

In response to my email  about the marine in a Mexican prison I got this email. I appreciate Mr. Isakson replying to my email but I still do not understand why it even takes a petition to get our marine released from this Mexican prison. I thought we had somewhat of a relationship with Mexico. Evidently they do not think much of our people or its something else. who knows anymore, this world is upside down.
http://blueridgemountainboy.blogspot.com/2014/08/free-our-marine-in-mexico.html
"





Dear Mr. Young:

Thank you for contacting me about Andrew Tahmooressi's arrest in Mexico.  I appreciate hearing from you and am grateful for the opportunity to respond.

On March 31, 2014, Andrew Tahmooressi, a U.S. citizen and Marine veteran, was arrested by Mexican authorities on weapons charges.  According to Mr. Tahmooressi, he was driving to a dinner in San Ysidro, Calif., when he missed his exit and mistakenly crossed the border into Mexico with three firearms in his vehicle. If convicted, Tahmooressi faces six to 21 years in a Mexican prison.

In a letter to Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.-50), the State Department said they were aware of an arrest of a U.S. citizen in Mexico.  However, they do not comment on arrests of private individuals without the citizen's permission.

In the letter to Mexico's Attorney General, a bipartisan group of congressmen led by California Reps. Duncan Hunter and Juan Vargas, ask for Tahmooressi's case to be dismissed.  A petition has been started on the White House website asking for the President to become involved in his case.  The petition must get 100,000 signatures before the White House will comment on it.

I am concerned about this situation and am monitoring it as it develops.  I will keep your comments and concerns in mind should further action come before the Senate.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please visit my webpage at http://isakson.senate.gov/ for more information on the issues important to you and to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,
Johnny Isakson
United States Senator

For future correspondence with my office, please visit my web site athttp://www.isakson.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-me. You can also click here to sign up for the eNewsletter

No comments: