Sunday, March 2, 2014

Bible Inaccuracies in Movie "Son of God"

Being a teacher of God's word I felt I had a responsibility to go see the new movie about the life of Christ, "  Son of God".  I must admit I was on a witch hunt looking for anything that might be misleading, false or would discredit the greatest story ever told. I missed about five minutes of the start but saw most of the film and found it accurate in  places but in some places in the film there were things I do not recall reading in the Bible and other things which were a rewrite of the clear rendering of events found in God's word.  I am only going to list three and am going from what I call the worst representative of the Bible to the least.

1. The Resurrection of Lazourus

First I will give you the biblical account found in the King James Bible, Saint John Chapter 11

John 11:34-44 KJV
[34] And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. [35] Jesus wept. [36] Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! [37] And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died? [38] Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it. [39] Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. [40] Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God? [41] Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. [42] And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it , that they may believe that thou hast sent me. [43] And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. [44] And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go. …

In " Son of God" the tomb is sealed with a bunch of stones, note in the text above Jesus says, "Take ye away the stone." Stone is singular, in this movie the people begin pulling away the stones(plural) away from the tomb.

In the gospel account, Jesus cried with a loud voice, "Lazarus, come forth." In the movie Jesus enters the tomb and gets behind Lazarus to raise him from the dead. This is not mentioned in the Bible only that Jesus said "Lazarus, come forth."

In the biblical account, Lazarus who had  been dead for four days come walking out bound with grave clothes, Jesus says, "Loose him, and let him go". In the movie Lazarus is not bound with grave clothes but is clothed with a white garment. 

Now why movie makers who want to honor God and give an accurate rendering of the life of Christ want to change this event. If you are a professing believer making a movie about your Lord and Savior would you not want it to be accurate. I certainly would, I would be afraid to be so inaccurate in an event such as the raising of Lazarus that is plainly laid out for us in the word of God. Roma and Mark you ought to explain to God's people why you did not think it important to tell the story like it reads.

I know I said I was going to list three things but that is all I feel like sharing for now. Maybe I will share the rest later. God bless all and look in the bible not Hollywood for the truth about Jesus.

No comments: