Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Getting Ready for Ben Kiker's Tri-State Karate Tournament

I went to Ben Kiker's United Karate Studios in Ellijay, Georgia tonight in preparation for the Tri-State Karate Tournament that will be held Saturday in Ellijay. I do not know how beneficial this workout/sparring session was for only that it made me realize how unprepared I am to compete Saturday.

The workout was a great workout as usual (Ben's workouts always are), however, I was not in great form. I made through the kicking drills as best I could for my non-flexible almost 50 year old self but really struggled during the sparring. For some reason I was under the delusion that my fighting had really improved, the United Karate students in Ellijay showed me I was not doing near as good as I thought I was. I have one more day of sparring before Saturday with Dan Haymore and his students at the United Karate Studios in Blue Ridge before Saturdays tournament in Ellijay Ga.

I will be fighting in the heavyweight senior men division, which ranges between 40 to 49 yrs old, at 49 I am at the older end of the age group. I will be at the age disadvantage but I plan on doing my best and trusting God with the outcome. I just pray we have a safe competition and that whether I win or lose may God be glorified.

No comments: